PHOTOMEDIATIONS: A CALL FOR CREATIVE WORKS
The creators of Photomediations: An Open Book are looking for submissions of still and moving image mashups, collages, montages, tributes or pastiches of open cultural media to the Photomediations Exhibition – a celebration of open digital culture.
We are looking for still and/or moving image works that creatively reuse – in the form of mashups, collages, montages, tributes or pastiches – one or more original image files taken from the Europeana repository of cultural artefacts (http://www.europeana.eu). Europeana contains millions of items from a range of Europe’s leading galleries, libraries, archives and museums: books and manuscripts, photos and paintings, television and film, sculpture and crafts, diaries and maps, sheet music and recordings. Renowned names such as the British Library in London, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and the Louvre in Paris are featured alongside smaller organisations across Europe. Whether you find a celebrated piece or a lesser-known work, Europeana connects you directly to the original source material.
The closing date for the submissions is 31st March 2016. All successful entries will be notified by the judges by the end of April 2016.
The International Judges are:
Editors of Photomediations: An Open Book
Katrina Sluis – The Photographers’ Gallery
Karen Newman – Birmingham Open Media
Pippa Milne – Centre for Contemporary Photography
Selected entries and up to 10 honourable mentions will be highlighted on the exhibition website and then shown in a real-life exhibition venue, more details coming soon. The organisers will seek to bear the print production costs for the real-life exhibitions.
How to create and submit work in 4 easy steps:
1. Check out the Read section of this site for inspiration, both about the concept of photomediations and inspiration for what can be done with open images.
2. Visit the Explore section and start collecting images you wish to work with, each submitted work should reuse at least 1 image from the Europeana repository.
3. Develop and produce your work. Use the Remix section of the site for ideas on how to mashup, collage, montage, tribute, pastiche, or any other technique that creatively reuses the source material in some way. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
4. Submit your image using the submission form below and include details of the original sources.
5. Submission is FREE.
When selecting your images, please respect their copyright. Beware: not all images available in Europeana can be reused. As a rule of thumb, only use images:
1. with one of the following Creative Commons licences: CC 0, CC BY, CC BY-SA, CC BY-NC and CC BY-NC-SA (but not CC BY-ND) .
2. marked with a ‘public domain’ licence
3. described as having ‘no copyright restrictions’ .
Here are a few links that may help you understand a little more about image copyright:
Creative Commons Licences
Understanding UK copyright Law
Intellectual property best practice
Please ensure you follow the submission criteria above. Only entries that fulfil them will be considered by the judges. All eligible entries will be included on the exhibition website on a rolling basis.
You can submit your remixes using the form below. We will endeavour to feature your remixes within the site as soon as possible.
Should you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
This exhibition is part of Europeana Space, a project funded by the European Union’s ICT Policy Support Programme under GA n° 621037.